I’m a poet, writer & reviewer (and mum of three) based in Hampshire.
Having completed my MA in Creative Writing, I worked as an editor and freelance writer for fifteen years. In 2018 I co-founded a creative writing group, Inkpot, which led to a regular slot on BBC Berkshire’s book club. I’m currently co-host of Poets’ Café Online, a lunchtime open mic and in January, I’ll be taking the reins of Reading’s Poets’ Café at South Street Arts Centre with fellow poet Zannah Kearns.
My interest in the positive effects of writing has led me to being interviewed several times on BBC Berkshire about bibliotherapy and the impact creative writing has upon mental health. I am passionate about poetry as a tool to encourage creativity, aid expression and boost confidence. I’m currently studying on the PG Cert in Teaching Creative Writing at Cambridge University, to supercharge my creative offering to schools, groups and organisations across Hamsphire, Berkshire and Surrey.
- English Literature BA from Loughborough University (2:1)
- Creative Writing MA from Loughborough University
- Currently studying on the ‘Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching Creative Writing’ course at Cambridge University
My work has been published widely both online and in print. I’ve been lucky enough to have poetry included in magazines (Mslexia, Ink, Sweat & Tears, Reach Poetry, Lucent Dreaming, Dawntreader), anthologies (In the Beginning, The Art of Poetry, Arrival at Elsewhere). Poems have also been featured on a number of notable webzines (Ink, Sweat & Tears, Atrium, RiversSide, The Poetry Village, The Ekphrastic Review, Nine Muses) and my short story about a toenail(!) was cited in full (Write Short Stories and Get Them Published: Your practical guide to writing … ) by Zoe Fairbairns, 2015, HarperCollins.
My debut pamphlet Lost & Found was published by Hedgehog Poetry Press in 2020.
What Colour is my Brain? , a collaborative work with Jules Whiting, will be published by Hedgehog Poetry Press in 2022 as part of their Stickleback series.
Awards & Recognition
- Ernest Frost Prize 2005 (1st Prize)
- Café Writer’s Award 2009 (1st Prize)
- Shortlisted Poetic Republic (MAG) poetry award 2009
- Shortlisted Poetic Republic (MAG) poetry award 2010
- Shortlisted for National Poetry Day 2020 #speakyourtruth poem on YouTube 2019
- Poem included in Healing Words exhibition in Paternoster Square, London, 2019
- Bracknell Poetry Slam finalist 2020
- Poem included in #HapWrap exhibition at St Andrew’s University, Happenstance Press, 2020
- Shortlisted Candlestick Press ‘Getting Older’ competition
- Pamphlet longlisted – Verve Press 2020
- 2nd Annual Cupid’s Arrow Love Poetry Competition 2020 – Hedgehog Press (1st Prize)
- Longlisted for Butcher’s Dog Magazine
- Mslexia ‘Poet Laureate’ – publication ‘Social Distancing’
- Pushcart prize nominated – ‘Social Distancing’ 2020
- Cupid’s Arrow Prize 2020 (1st prize)
- Baker’s Dozen competition March 2020 (1st prize and publication of my pamphlet ‘Lost & Found’)
- Atrium – featured publication of the month (January 2021)
- Micro-collection ‘Stickleback’ competition run by Hedgehog Poetry Press – collaborative work with Jules Whiting – (1st place and publication forthcoming in Jan 2022).
If you wish to send me review copies, please get in touch.